Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Shop says my 99 Ford Contour has a bent control arm. Wants $168 for part. Does

this sound reasonable? 99 Ford Contour. Shop did not say if it was upper or lower rear control arms I need. I've found lower ones online for less than $50. But can't find upper. He said it is a rare part and they were only able to find it across the country in a warehouse. I know it's bad to drive on a bent control arm... but I also feel like I'm getting taken for the price..

I bought this car in September and have only hit a couple pot holes (very tiny ones) so likely the control arm was bent the entire time.. but I live in VA and when I had my inspection done in Oct. nothing was said about it (by the same shop). Is that something they check in VA Inspections? The shop also wants me to do, total, over $1000 worth of "much needed" repairs... and I only took it in for an alignment and oil change! Please help me!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is not far off from what it costs, remember a shop marks up their parts anywhere from 50 to 100%. They do this not to rip you off but th cover over head and make a profit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hold off on the repairs.
    Annual inspection may not notice this condition.
    Bent control arm would likely been noticed while trying to do the wheel alignment.

I would inspect the two rear tires for irregular wear patterns as this would be a sign of some misalignment.
    I would also get a second opinion on the damaged part or only ask for a front wheel alignment if the rear tires look even and you don't notice the car handles any different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    lower control arm sure you can replace it your self or cal any parts store and get a part price or part lower arm not hard to replace at home
    type into search box how to replace lower control arm

or try autozone website to get part and how to replace info

Downloads
    Uploads
    lower control arm sure you can replace it your self or cal any parts store and get a part price or part lower arm not hard to replace at home
    type into search box how to replace lower control arm
    or try autozone website to get part and how to replace info