Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to stop my dog from ringing the "outside" bell?

Our 7 month old has easily learned to ring the bell when he has to go potty, but now he's using it to just go outside. I'm stuck on the discipline action here.

He's basically using it for attention, but I'm telling you he doesn't lack it at all. The last thing I want to do is punish him for ringing the bell, even though he just came back in.
    He runs 4-5 days a week and I also am training him to retrieve, so it's more about getting inside his head to let him know it's not ok to go outside on his terms.

And yes, he's always on some sort of lead when he's outside, even for bathroom and training.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He LOVES you.
    Being with you
    Playing with you
    You did it
    Your fault...don't blame a trained dog
    You are the one at the top of the food chain here...right?
    Get over it! Laugh about it! Tell all your friends what a SMART dog you have. Have a great day!

Downloads
    Uploads
    How does your dog ring the outside bell from inside your house? To do that he would have to be outside? Am I missing something here?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe you can install a "treat" bell that he can ring every time he wants a treat. Ha ha ha. Your dog is very cute.

With the bell, you had a system of letting him out on his terms. And now you want to change things?

Downloads
    Uploads
    im glad you're using that technique for that. being that he's still very young, he's got a lot of energy. so he's letting you know that he wants more exercise. i don't think you can do anything about him ringing the bell to go out. unless you want him to stop ringing the bell, period.

it's funny. cuz my Boxador, Onyx, does the same thing. so, what i do is, every time she rings the bell, instead of letting her run to her D.P.P (Designated Potty Place) i walk her there on-leash. she doesn't ring the bell as much anymore. but she still rings the bell to try and get a little exercise. it might work for you. but... then again, i cant guarantee it.

try it, though. if your pup learned that fast, im sure he can learn to ring the bell ONLY for PottyTime.

:]

Downloads
    Uploads
    he loves being outside! maybe take him out more often and play with him out there instead of just taking him out to use the bathroom. Dogs need exercise too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Tether him to you for potty breaks then he can't ring the bell. Simple.