Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

road bikes. Flat handle bars or the curvy ones?

im in the market for a road bike. Im debating between flat handlebars (which im more comfortable with) and the the bars that turn down. speed is important to me and i realize that on an upright bike with flat handle bars there will be more air resistance, but i want to know exactly how much of a difference it will make. I plan on commuting about 13 miles a day. im not gonna race or anything but im sick and tired of all the other cyclers passing me up when im on the road.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i think it is opinion not really anything to with air resistance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are tired of getting passed by then you need to get into the drops and get serious but more importantly you need to condition yourself and ride more than you do....80-90 rpm's on the pedals and maintain that. Get yourself a cadence cyclocomputer so you can pace yourself and build your stamina. You are not being passed because your handlebars are not right, your gettin' passed because the riders passing you are in better condition and that is about it. The straight handle bar wont necessarily slow you down (it will give you more wind resistance and potentially slow you) and if you look at the Tour bikes you will not see one that has a flat bar on it! Sure a flat bar is fine for the type of ridding you are doing and the distance you are going but if you want to be in the lead then start doing 25 miles a day and more from that ....push yourself, no pain no gain" it takes time before you can stay out front!