Why is white zinfindel not a "good" wine?

CakeMaker1

Feb 13, 2009
I agree with Allgrown...nothing like a snob to make you second guess yourself...drink what you like...like me :)

Because white zinfandel is typically considered a "non-wine drinker's wine". It doesn't have the characteristics typically attributed to wine. Its sweet, but its more like a juice then wine and if you were to order it in a wine bar, you would come off as a novice who doesn't know how to appreciate wine. There's nothing wrong with it, its tasty, but yeah, if you are amongst wine connoisseurs, its a weak choice. Drink on and enjoy it, don't stop ordering it because you're worried about other people.

I was on a cocktail tour in new orleans and the tour guide made a comment to the effect of "ordering that is like ordering a white zin at a wine bar" lol I never considered my wine of choice as a feau pax, I enjoy most wine, but it's my fav. so should I switch?

I agree with Allgrown...nothing like a snob to make you second guess yourself...drink what you like...like me :)

Drink whatever you like. If you like sweet wine, white zin is a good choice. Try a Riesling sometime. It is probably one you would like, too. Pinot Grigio is also sweet..

Because white zinfandel is typically considered a "non-wine drinker's wine". It doesn't have the characteristics typically attributed to wine. Its sweet, but its more like a juice then wine and if you were to order it in a wine bar, you would come off as a novice who doesn't know how to appreciate wine. There's nothing wrong with it, its tasty, but yeah, if you are amongst wine connoisseurs, its a weak choice. Drink on and enjoy it, don't stop ordering it because you're worried about other people.

Back