Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need help with a hunting rifle?

I want to know a good hunting rifle to hunt with and I want to know a good combo for shooting LONG RANGE(500yds-1000yds), but I don't want it to be huge and my 12 year old kid would use it to for his elk hunt coming up

Yo idiots I dont want to take game at those ranges I want to practice at those ranges

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should not be taking game at those ranges. It is unethical because at that kind of distance you have a better chance of either missing or wounding the game that dropping it with one shot as we all strive for. I shoot at 1000 yds at the range and am pretty good at it but I will not take game at any range greater than 300 yds. They are difficult shots on the range never mind in the field. Because animals make unexpected movements, wind changes, the hunt happens as I say. But if the range is you destination then a .308 AR is a good rifle. If hunting elk is your game then bigger calibers are necessary. I would say 30-06 would be the minimum. With a 338 Win Mag or 350 Remington being the ideal choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it was me i would use a 7mm rem mag and whenever your kid was going to use it just buy some light reloads for your kid to use in the 7mm rem mag.
    good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    i don't know much about elk hunting, but the yardage is similar to deer- i don't think that that would be a good range to shoot in- i think 500-something yds would be your limit, maybe somewhere around 600 or pushing 700, but at 1000yds. the bullet will have dropped so much and it wouldn't be 'traveling' as fast as it would be if the yardage was closer

also, a 308 wont be much for your son. i'm 5'1 and 115 lbs and i can shoot a 308 with no problem- i'm guessing your son is probably about my height or taller (since a lot lot of people are taller than me lol), so he'd have no problem (:

-----------
    added:
    even practicing at that range, you'll have to shoot a lot because of the way the wind blows- different each time, and how much the bullet drops- which is different each time also because of the weather- humidity, temp, etc, and who is shooting it makes a difference

also, you did NOT tell us that you'd be practicing at that, you didn't say one way or the other, next time please tell us if your gonna be hunting or practicing at those ranges instead of calling us idiots [wasn't wanting to sound rude, just pointing something out]