Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

1994 honda Accord LX Automatic Help?

Alright, so my engine is officially 222k (It was nice seeing it go past 222,222 lol) so lessee...

Pretty much, it seems like the engine is pretty bad right now. Timing belt broke on me and other radiator cracked on me and bunch of other stuff before I even got the car. But lets see...Engine runs, just can't "Red Line" no more and can't push as hard as it used to before the timing belt. My dad is planning on purchasing a new engine for it (well used engine) honestly, I really want a new car (240SX) but this is what gets me from point A to point B.

Here's my question...

It's been 2500+ miles after I last changed the oil. 222k miles is pretty bad and my bro used to say to change the oil every 3k miles. Everytime I change the oil, I press that one button on the dashboard to reset the miles so everytime it resets 3x it means it hit 3k miles.

Should I put oil just to make it last? or do a full oil change? Also, I don't know much about cars so pretty much, it's been a while with a air filter, brake fluid, power steering fluid and others which I don't know.

Can someone help me with the oil thing and what are the regular maintenance that I have to do to make sure the car runs good?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oil every 4500 miles is fine now.
    Change the coolant every 3 years.
    Brake fluid check twice a year, replace every 5 years.
    Power steering fluid should have been flushed and changed by now.
    Upper and lower control arms, check for wear and freeplay.
    Air filter once a year, sparkplugs every three years.
    Check condition of cap and rotor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would spend $100 to have the car looked over by a great mechanic to see if it is worth maintaining the car. Simple oil changes are ok but if the car needs major work then I'd look at another car. 222K is excellent for a car but you cannot run it hard.