Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I get a new car?

I currently am driving a 1997 Chevy Lumina. It only has 107,xxx miles on it, but it has some problems. I've already put $2000 into this car since I bought it 2 years ago, and it's current problems consist of:

Brake lines are rotting
    Back tires need replacing
    One control arm is rotting, the other is bent
    Has some surface rust, but the body is in good shape
    Transmission Fluid is gritty (has it flushed not too long ago)
    Burning or leaking oil
    Bad ball joint driver front

Any opinions?! I'm not too sure what to do. I'm an 18 year old college student with a little money, but not a ton.
    Yeah, to the other Lumina owner. I know the engines last a while in those cars, 150,000-200,000 miles. The only concern I have is whether it'll be more worth it to get a car with a warranty and have the monthly payments. Like i said the body is in good shape, some surface rust, and the frame is starting to rot but it's not terrible (yet). It will take $500-$800 to get it to pass inspection though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like you need a new mechanic? Some of these issues sound like you are being taken advantage of. All parts under a car rust, most will never fail due to the rust. Your car is almost broken in good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I currently have a 1995 chevy Lumina with 160,000 miles on it. For the most economical way it would be cheaper long term to make repairs to this car rather than get a newer car. I have to sink money into my car every year but it is still cheaper than getting a monthly $200 car payment. If you want a newer car it is up to you. It is seldom if ever cheaper to get a newer car rather than keeping the car you currently have.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The amount of money you would have to put into it now, you could trade it in and getting a car with about 50,000 to 70,000 miles by adding a little extra money.

Get rid of it. To much money to fix.