Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

General home theater projector questions and ... anyone using a projector for...

...a 60" or less screen size? I am probably in the minority with this, but I absolutely hate the glossy black televisions that are now being made and am unsatisfied with glare issues with most of them. I am now considering a projector setup for viewing movies (old & new in 16:9 and 4:3) as well as over-the-air broadcasted network channels (ABC, NBC, etc) but in a not-so-gigantic view as might be possible (limit screen size to 46-60"). Here are my questions upon considering the Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 and 1080 UB:http:

//www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Pro_Cinema_1080_UB.htm

1. My maximum viewing distance is 8 feet. The projector could sit as far away (until it is stopped by a wall) 8-1/5 feet. Will the resulting picture be less sharp, less contrasted, or in anyway pixelated/distorted with such a small picture (40-60" depending on where I have the projector mounted) for which the projector is not originally designed?

2. I'm assuming I will need an amplifier for audio but where would I buy an excellent digital and HDTV tuner ?

3. Is there an easy way to use one remote to power-on all of the hardware (projector, amplifier, tuner, DVD player)?

4. The room is in a basement and can either have no light, dimmed light from rear ceiling spotlights, or full light from separate fluorescent ceiling lights. Will the specified lumens (1200 for one projector and 1600 for the other model) be enough for all of these lighting conditions?

5. Are there any blurryness, pixelation, or graininess issues from projectors as there can be with LCD television when viewing fast action sports (I noticed some distortion even with the 120hz LCD televisions).

6. I'm sure it depends greatly on the type of screen that I have but how are issues with glare/reflection with projector pictures? For example, during a dark movie scene do you see yourself in the screen or only the action on the screen?

Thanks very much for any advice you may provide. I am new to understanding this technology and am trying to make good choices.

Jake

Downloads
    Uploads
    It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding already of the issues involved in setting up a home theater projector. I think you a worrying a bit too much though.

The projection distance will be determined by the projector lens itself. The projector cannot just go at any distance from the screen. The "zoom" will give you a foot or two of "play" on the distance. If you download the manual for your projector it will have a simple calculator for screen size and distance.

You will notice pixels if you are close to the screen. Otherwise the picture will be great. Avoid light on the screen itself.

There will be no reflection if you use a standard projection screen.

Audio is the part that will involve a bit more investment - any good home theater receiver and speakers should work fine.