[IMG]http://simplefeed.consumerreports.org/rsrc/i/1/_/qa_can_coffee_raise_my_cholesterol__6188084/4.gif?f=3dcb3160-01dc-11dc-32a2-0019bbc55f7f&s=AewyNia7NTvDvhaDemju5DEsbnVsbCwwLDA *[/IMG] Q&A: Can coffee raise my cholesterol?
I've read that oils in coffee can raise cholesterol. Do some brewing methods produce more of these oils? Are paper filters better than metal ones?
Studies have linked two oils produced when coffee is brewed to increases in both total and low-density-lipoprotein (LDL, or bad) cholesterol levels. Researchers believe the amount of the cafestol and kahweol oils that ends up in the coffee you drink depends on the brewing method you use and how the water comes in contact with the ground coffee.
Drip coffeemakers, like those we tested in our latest report on these appliances, distribute water to the grounds gently enough so that the cafestol and kahweol pass through only in negligible amounts whether you use a paper or a metal filter. The same goes for instant coffee and coffee brewed in a traditional percolator.
Read the full answer on our Home & Garden blog, see our new report and Ratings (subscribers only) on coffee, and read our article, "Can Coffee Be a Health Food?"

Subscribe now!
Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. Update your feed preferences