junctions and driving lessons?

xFrecklesx

Apr 14, 2008
ok, this might seem like a stupid question but i really to get confused with this! I've had driving lessons before and gave up for a bit cos my instructor was so bad, but i have my first lesson with a new instructor this morning, but i can't remember how to deal with junctions. I'm fine at traffic lights (which is a bit backwards i know lol) but i never know what to do at junctions and what gear i'm meant to be in. My old instructor said you should always be in 1st gear when turning but my boyfriend says you can do junctions in 2nd gear you don't always have to stop the car completely. What do i have to do step by step? Is it clutch down, break, 1st gear, look then turn? I'm confused! Help! xxx

Better to be safe than sorry, stop and make sure before you move on, 1st gear ..

Do not take others signals (indicators) as law, they might be flashing, but it doesn't mean they will go that way, believe me junctions and Fridays also, everyone is in a hurry and drive like idiots..

Better to be slow and cautious while you are a new driver..

A wee thing to remember: Boys crash more than anyone else, so be warned and listen to your instructors, not your boyfriend, has he had a prang yet?

As you are just learning, your first instructor was correct. You will not have gained the skills to take off again in 2nd gear when approaching a give way junction. The skills will come in time though.

Doing what your b/f says is like trying to run before you can even walk.

when u get more confident n see theres no trafic it will come naturally to keep going and to go into 2nd gear but you will be taught to stop go into first gear etc, your instructor should be able to help you on this, just dont panic

Hopefully, your new instructor will be excellent and will tell you exactly what to do!

Meanwhile, here's a link to a free video lesson on junctions (scroll down the page for the video):

http://www.drivinghelp.com/junctions_t_left/

Hopefully, your new instructor will be excellent and will tell you exactly what to do!

Meanwhile, here's a link to a free video lesson on junctions (scroll down the page for the video):

http://www.drivinghelp.com/junctions_t_left/

It depends on the junction - if you have poor visibility or if there is something coming then stop and get into 1st gear. If you can see that it is clear then you will be fine in 2nd gear.

Good luck with the rest of your lessons x

Back