Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it safe to irrigate a dog's sinus?

My dog just got sprayed, right in the face, by a skunk. I can tell it's in his nose. He's miserable.

I have a NeilMed Nasal Rinse bottle and saline packets. Is it safe to use this method to rinse out my dog's nose? Will it help give him some relief? Should I just use plain water as opposed to the saline mixture?

Downloads
    Uploads
    well... i would not squirt any water or anything not intended for dogs, up your dogs nose. first off, that would irritate your dog even more, second, its not the type of thing you want your dog to possibly inhale. dogs get sprayed by skunks all the time. you can either take him to the vet in the morning to be cleaned and checked, or you can just do the old fashioned tomato juice bath. if it got up his nose, i would just take a steamy hot washcloth (not soaking wet) and gently wash his face with it and hold it on his face for a few seconds so he can inhale the steam to clear it up a little, then a cold washcloth right after and just pat gently to let the cold relieve some of the irritation.
    i do this with my pup a few times a week just because he has sinus problems and always has those crusty tears down his face and he just lays his head in my hand and moans lol so it must feel good and relieving to some extent

Downloads
    Uploads
    dont do that!! bring it to a vet if he is irritated...you dont know what could both him....would you like that done to you!?! what if its not good for him would you like to have that chance on you??