Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member Rachelt:tProJonast's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

what's wrong with my pet rat? :(?

He usually eats all his food and goes through a bottle of water in a week.

But lately, the water is barely going down and he only eats the fruits I give him.

My mom says he may be dying, but I don't think it can be.

I used to leave his cage open while I replaced his food and water and mulch.
    But lately he's been trying to get the heck out of the cage.

What's wrong with him?

He's 1 1/2 if that helps.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He may be temporary sick. Or maybe he needs to get out once in a while. OR he could be allergic to something. Take him to the vet, find out whats wrong with him.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The fancy rat or pet rat is a domesticated brown rat, otherwise known as the Norwegian Rat, (Rattus norvegicus). The name fancy rat has nothing to do with the "fanciness" of their appearance, but derives from the phrase animal fancy. Thus, one who keeps pet rats is said to be involved in "rat fancy". There are people who domesticate black rats (Rattus rattus) and Gambian pouched rats (Cricetomys gambianus), but these are not generally referred to as fancy rats as the hobby does not formally centre around them, and when talking about "pet rats"—the term is almost always exclusive to R. norvegicus.[1]

Fancy rats have their origins as the targets for bloodsport in 18th and 19th century Europe. Specially bred as pets since then, fancy rats now come in a wide variety of colours and coat types and there exists several rat fancy groups worldwide. Fancy rats are commonly sold as pets in stores and by breeders. In fiction, pet rats play roles varying from evil, to ambiguous, to "lovable".[2]

Pet rats behave differently from their wild relatives depending on how many generations they have been removed, and, when acquired from reliable sources, they do not pose more of a health risk than other common pets.[3] While fancy rats are exposed to different health risks than their wild counterparts, they are consequently less likely to succumb to other illnesses prevalent in the wild. Pet rats are not a carrier of plague,[4] though they can expose their owners to diseases such as salmonella, but typically only after exposure to wild rodent populations.[5]

Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds like you spoil him, he don't want his food he wants what you give him

Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds like you spoil him, he don't want his food he wants what you give him

Downloads
    Uploads
    eww a rat? wtf

Downloads
    Uploads
    hes a rat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    bring him to your local vet try to find their number or something and bring your pet rat there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    he might be sick my pet rabbit hurt her food and it didn't get better and stopped eating if he hurt something and it got infected he may stop eating i hope this helps