Is a Saab a good choice for a first car?

mollie

Jul 7, 2008
I'm looking into buying my first car and I absolutely LOVE Saabs. I'm looking at some older models, mid/late 90s, preferably the 9-3 or 900. Any thoughts? Or should I opt to go for the reliable and less "exotic" Honda?

well Saab isn't a popular brand and they are in financial crap. I like saab's as much as the next person but if saab goes out of business you must consider the long term effects of buying a car.

Saab is a Euro style american GM car. Three things you can rely on them. One..older models are only V4 models. Two....style never change. Three...it's pricier than it should be. Head to Barnes and Noble to see their reliability.

lucky for you, my first car was and is my dads saab 93 convertible in grey. its an acquired taste, because theres a lot about the design that really confuses me. if you have the money for the expensive repairs you might need, and you really love saabs, then you should go for it. but make up your mind soon, because the saab company won't exist in a few years. GM is dumping it.

i would never buy a saab. they are ugly and all look the same...there is plenty of other makes besides Honda

Saab makes a good car, but the trouble starts when you get into high mileage Saab's. They are not cheap to repair. They rank right up there with Volvo and BMW, so if you decide to go with an older Saab carry it somewhere and have a mechanic check it out before you buy it.

I used to own a Saab 2-Door, and it was probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. It was incredibly safe, fast, and fuel efficient. Looks great too. On the other hand, I would never own/drive a Honda, or be caught dead in one (would ride a bicycle before supporting a foreign brand) or any other Asian made car out of fear for my safety. How safe can those cars really be if the Asians put lead in kid's toys and chemicals in baby's milk?

I used to own a Saab 2-Door, and it was probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. It was incredibly safe, fast, and fuel efficient. Looks great too. On the other hand, I would never own/drive a Honda, or be caught dead in one (would ride a bicycle before supporting a foreign brand) or any other Asian made car out of fear for my safety. How safe can those cars really be if the Asians put lead in kid's toys and chemicals in baby's milk?

Back