My docile Golden Retriever used to eat?

PeteM

May 8, 2008
All you dog lovers out there may be able to answer this question but its debateable. I had a Golden Retriever for years and she was the most adorable dog anyone could ever have. Everyday she greeted me with an upturned paw and everywhere I went she followed. The word loyalty can only be understood if you have ever owned a golden retriever, but she had one problem which was this. Out on the fields where the cattle grazed a lot of, er cow dung was deposited and whenever she got the opportunity.....she swallowed this stuff by the gallon full. I used to shout at her to stop, but she ignored me and it almost made me sick. Now, years later I'm wondering what is there in this stuff which makes dogs want to eat it like it was ice cream? Any ideas or explanations?

No idea, mine will eat horse poop, cow dung, rabbit pellets, goat pellets, you name it if it's been deposited they have eaten it. Just another weird part of dog love and ownership,lol :)

Could be your dog is missing something from her diet, that sadly she is finding in the cow dung. It's nasty, but not uncommon for a dog to eat poop.

For the record my dog used to do the same thing with cat "treats"
(poop) we changed his diet to include other things and he doesn't eat kitty " treats" anymore.

Back