Is Atheism Just A Rant Against Religion?

terminateit

Dec 23, 2008
I think so!!
Atheists don't really ask the question, what are the vital needs that religion meets? They give you the sense that religion is the enemy, which is absurd,"
There are some questions we secularists have to answer: Who am I, what am I, what can I know? Unless we can answer these questions adequately for ourselves and for others, we can't expect people to even begin to be interested in living without God

No...

That would be "Anti-Theism."

Also, I *have* asked questions before about what makes somebody believe in a religion, and what makes them faithful. I'm actually very interested in theology. I'd love to be an archaeologist or anthropologist when I am older, and so much of those fields has to do with the effect that religion has had on specific societies.

Atheism is the rejection of the superstitions of our ignorant ancient ancestors, and (possibly) a determined effort to create a rational, forward looking civilization.

a.) There are no vital needs that religion meets, other than filling the pockets of shameless charlatans who reap obscene profits by undermining education and attacking scientific (physical) truth.

b.) Religion has always been the relentless enemy of human progress.

c.) "Who am I, what am I, [and] what can I know" are utterly meaningless drivel that each of us can answer for ourselves, or ignore completely if we so choose. ...meaningless word games to befuddle the naive and the ignorant.

d.) None of those questions have the least importance to people who appreciate the vital difference between objective reality and subjective mental experience.

Nobody is asking you to live without your precious God. All most atheists want is for Christians to respect the separation of Church and State and stop attempting to undermine American civilization by forcing their superstitious codswallop into our laws, government, schools, and research laboratories. Christians are clearly the enemies of intellectual development and social progress and have long been shameless parasites, greedily enjoying the many benefits of modern civilization, while contributing nothing but superstitious ignorance and relentlessly complaining about everything they do not understand.

The rising tide of atheism is not an empty rant, it's a spontaneous effort by educated citizens to keep the ignorant fools among us from destroying everything humanity has achieved since the dawn of the scientific revolution, 418 years ago. The truth is that subjective human mental experiences have absolutely nothing to do with objective (physical) reality and the physical realm is absolutely real -- contrary to 1600 years of ignorant Christian dogma. Nothing is more important than to discard the superstitions of our ignorant ancestors and to seek humanity's destiny in our future. Why can't you deluded fools appreciate that a great many human beings are simply sick and tired of living in the superstitious ignorance of the past?

Rather than being a rant against religion, atheism is a rant for rational thinking. If you can't answer "vital needs" questions for yourself, why must you insist that a god is the answer when there is absolutely no proof of that. Why won't religious people just admit that they are afraid of death and afraid to let go of ancient god beliefs...just in case? Most believers are only going through the motions because of their families and positions in society.

Atheists question all the time. Why don't you think we have a religion? I for one use the Socratic Method to help me understand.

I think some atheists do it to rebel but a lot of them are just confused and have a hard time believing in one god, or beleive there just isn't enough hard evidence.

There are no vital needs for religion - you are right about that. I, for one, am doing just fine without it.

*Nope. But it is a pretty good defense against it.

@jim the baptist: Atheism doesn't fit the formal definitions of religion at all, and it is not. We follow no particular doctrine. Our "scriptures" are constantly changing to fit the evidence, as opposed to religion which forces evidence to fit the scriptures.
Still, within certain frameworks (such as prisons), it must be LEGALLY treated as a religion. Atheists have as much right to assemble and discuss their non-beliefs and how to deal with believers as any other religious group that does the opposite.
Besides, anything that irritates the immoral majority makes me happy. I refer you to the line which states "Brian Fahling, senior trial attorney for the American Family Association Center for Law & Policy, called the court's ruling "a sort of Alice in Wonderland jurisprudence"

Ah! I love the smell of schadenfreud in the morning!

Back