How do I record from a DVD/VCR combo to a format that can be read by my computer?

Echo

Mar 15, 2008
I have a VCR tape (homemade movie) that I would like to put on a DVD and then put on the computer into smaller video clips that I plan on using for an e-portfolio.

My thought was simple: take the VHS tape to my MIL and have her use her DVD/VCR combo to put it on a DVD. Then, take it home and rip it to my computer. I gave her the DVD and the VHS tape, and thought I was all set!

She copied it all for me, and I took it home. Now, when I put the DVD into the computer, it won't detect the disk? It acts as if there is no disk in the drive.

I guess I should give more details, such as brands and stuff, but I don't have them. I know that I did give her the DVD, and it is the same kind I've used on my computer many times, so there shouldn't be a problem with the +R or -R compatibility.

I wasn't there when she recorded it, but I wouldn't think that she put it into some funky format that my computer can't read...it reads just about everything.

Should I mention that VHS tapes that she copies to DVDs won't play on my home DVD player either?

What could be the problem, and how can I fix it? I don't own one of these combo things, so I don't know how they record...

Back