Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can I keep these fish with my discus (the water is set to the discus)?

I have a discus tank that has 1 Angel, 2 Bala sharks, 3 Corycatfish, 3 Clownloaches, and 2 Discus. I just want to know if this is ok because they all swim together and get along great.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I fear the bala sharks may get a bit tempermental but if they are doing ok for now than I guess it is ok although I would watch the angel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Angels can work, but not all the time, they would need enough space should they want territories separate from each Discus.

Corys are entirely peaceful and fine with Discus.

Clown Loaches however will get very large and may well be too active and boisterous for the slow-moving Discus, especially as they grow. Clowns ideally need to be in groups of 4-5 or more in a minimum of a 6ft tank.

Balas are in the exact same boat as the Clown Loaches, they are very large growing and active, they will bother the slower Discus as they grow.

I would rehome the Clowns and Balas and get a couple more Corys instead (depending on tank size of course).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Discus and Angels are from the same demographical area. Both are slow-moving and graceful. They are not aggressive or predatory fish unless you put tiny fish like neon tetras or something similar.

The Corydoras are also peaceful and harmless plus they move around basically in the tank bottom - except for an occassional dart to the surface for a gulp of air.

Bala Sharks are fin-nippers and clown loaches will get too large over a period of time. Remove the Bala Sharks & Clown Loaches and add another Angel (opposite sex if possible) and 3 more Corydoras - a different species, for variety.

No future problems !