Am I cut out for hunting?

JoeA

May 16, 2008
Everytime I make a kill I always feel remorse or a little upset. I love hunting but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for it.
I normally eat what I shoot, and I I don't someone else does.

Thanks

absolutely right
you need to feel something
maybe not remorse but perhaps reverence for the animal
if you think about it , animals die either a slow death or one of severe violence due to predation.
you are maybe on the right track here in that you care about the life you take
does not mean that you cannot hunt
means you may become a great , responsible hunter

Joe, if we had to hunt to eat, I'd tell you that you'd have to learn to deal with it. Fortunately, you have the option. I went through the same thing, hunting with my dad, as a kid. Ultimately I decided that I was more of a shooting enthusiast than I was a hunter. Now I thoroughly enjoy myself, shooting at cardboard and metal targets, under a stopwatch. Perhaps you're in the right arena, but just haven't found exactly the right event for you.

Look around at other hunting-type activities. If it's about the woods for you, then check into nature photography or even hiking. If it's more about shooting, then look into skeet, or even rifle and pistol marksmanship. There's plenty out there.

Isnt it interesting we are the only animal on earth with compassion? And yet we kill our own kind more than any other animal.

I know I’m going to get a bunch of thumbs down and anger some but………..I think man is becoming wimps. No really. Seems every time man get all comfy in his cities he get all emotional over the slightest things. As long as we are able to survive by going to the store to get food we start getting detached from our hunter roots. But as soon as we end up fighting for survival from a natural disaster, war, famine etc, all of a sudden our belly says; “screw being nice Im going to kill it and eat it!”
I have spent many decades in wilderness areas in North America and have never seen a single wild animal give a damn about what it kills to eat. Even herbivores will eat flesh when starving. Its about survival.
So the people living fat from the modern food industry often look down on the hunter. But as son as they are starving from some disaster they are begging hunters to help them survive.

I have killed thousands of animals in my life. I still feel a tinge of sadness when ANY animals dies, even a bird that hits a window. But as they say lifes a b*tch! So I don’t let it bother me.

So its all up to you to decide not us. But if mankind just turns into a bunch of touchy feely wimps with a diet of a rabbit, well what a shame!!! Not a damn thing manly about that is there?

I have been hunting for years all over the world and I feel the same its normal to feel remorse if you didnt you shouldn't be a hunter. A hunter must have love and respect for the animals he is hunting.

Back