Journalism: Good choice of major for a future career?

coolblue

Feb 6, 2009
I'm majoring in journalism, and I'm wondering if it was a good move for my career. I've heard that there won't be as many openings in traditional media, it's all going to the online era (online journalism). I'm wondering if this is good or bad, since you can't really enforce a subscription and classifieds as much to fund the paper. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just speculating.

If journalism doesn't work out, can I easily apply this major to other careers and still be a success? If you could give me a few examples that would be great.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm going to be alright after college. 50k a year would be wonderful (With a few years of patience, of course), and the ability to find a good career easily with this major- I don't care if it's directly related or not.

I was almost thinking technical writing. I'm good with technology. Any thoughts on the job situation?

Thanks.

You might consider minoring in public relations - if writing for a paper or magazine doesn't work out, you can write press releases and do pr work. Public relations careers usually pay pretty well. Otherwise, you can also be copy editor for a website, advertising, or academic books.

Back