Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Journalism: Good choice of major for a future career?

I'm majoring in journalism, and I'm wondering if it was a good move for my career. I've heard that there won't be as many openings in traditional media, it's all going to the online era (online journalism). I'm wondering if this is good or bad, since you can't really enforce a subscription and classifieds as much to fund the paper. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm just speculating.

If journalism doesn't work out, can I easily apply this major to other careers and still be a success? If you could give me a few examples that would be great.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm going to be alright after college. 50k a year would be wonderful (With a few years of patience, of course), and the ability to find a good career easily with this major- I don't care if it's directly related or not.

I was almost thinking technical writing. I'm good with technology. Any thoughts on the job situation?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might consider minoring in public relations - if writing for a paper or magazine doesn't work out, you can write press releases and do pr work. Public relations careers usually pay pretty well. Otherwise, you can also be copy editor for a website, advertising, or academic books.