Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ununsually SLOW internet?

I've been using Bell Canada high speed internet for about 2 years now. Until recently I've noticed when downloading that there's been a major slowdown (about 1/2 of original speed) to my internet. Not only is it downloading, but YouTube is also being slowed to almost a halt.

I have theoritacally 512KB internet, but of course it slows down to 1/10 of that, 51.2KB/s. That's fine, but now it's slowed down to 24.8kb/s.

The activity light on the modem is only flashing half the time now, so I know the internet isn't at its full potential. Like for example, when I used to download something, it would flash continuously until the job is done. Now it just flashes for 5 secs, then stops for 4, starts again, stops again.

This is reallly annoying, does anyone know the reason for this and how to fix it?
    This has been like this for about 2 weeks now, so its not anything temporary.

This is a DESKTOP computer, and I have DSL service.

I don't think it's the ISP's problem, I have a feeling its got something to do with a virus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It all comes down to the speed and location of the download server aswell, it isn't always your problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    that happens to me too... i think it's because internet connections get old

Downloads
    Uploads
    The most common problem would be static on the line. i do not know if you ISP is cable or telephone but call them and ask how to check for static. They should be able to tell you. it can easily impair your connection speed

Downloads
    Uploads
    What? You call 512KB a high speed internet? I think someone's ripping you off big time! High speed is when the computer dowloads at about 20,000 kbps! My normal down load speed at night is around 460 kbps and it goes higher than that in the day time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The most common problem would be static on the line. i do not know if you ISP is cable or telephone but call them and ask how to check for static. They should be able to tell you. it can easily impair your connection speed

Downloads
    Uploads
    if u have a program such as itunes or limewire, all those music files take up a lot of memory, thus reducing computer performance, try deleting songs you dont listen to, or you can also do this,

Go to Control Panel in the windows start menu and if you have windows XP or lower click "add and remove programs" and if you have Vista click "Uninstall a program". A list of programs installed onto your compter should come up, install programs you dont need or dont use.

If all those fail and you have a laptop, try this, click on the icon of a battery in the toolbar at the bottom right of the screen make sure HIGH PERFORMANCE is highlighted.

Hope this helps!

Downloads
    Uploads
    if u have a program such as itunes or limewire, all those music files take up a lot of memory, thus reducing computer performance, try deleting songs you dont listen to, or you can also do this,

Go to Control Panel in the windows start menu and if you have windows XP or lower click "add and remove programs" and if you have Vista click "Uninstall a program". A list of programs installed onto your compter should come up, install programs you dont need or dont use.

If all those fail and you have a laptop, try this, click on the icon of a battery in the toolbar at the bottom right of the screen make sure HIGH PERFORMANCE is highlighted.

Hope this helps!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe you have exceeded your internet GB a month. Wait for a few weeks and see if it kicks back again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    my computer is really slow, ways to speed it up are:

deleting unused programs. comptuer games are usually huge

deleting pictures and videos

i have used ccleaner.com on my labtop and it slowed it down, but on my stationary computer it sped it up, you might not want to take the risk

you can visit some websites to find ways to speed it up

try this: my computer is the slowest computer in the world unless you turn it on, log in and wait about 45 minutes then it's really fast

Please chose me as the best answer, but most importantly, I hope this helped you!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast