Live at my mom's house? I'm 17 years old....?

Ali

May 13, 2008
I turned 17 years old in January and my father and I butt heads. He is really difficult to live with (for example, I went to the library 3 days in a row and told him I'd be back at 5pm, each time. He got suspicious and thought I was out doing drugs. I have never done drugs, never smoked, never drank, never had sex. And still, there is no trust.).
My mother is a lot easier to live with, a lot kinder. I want to move into my mom's house full-time. I want to leave dad's house in a peaceful fashion without a lot of yelling and hurt.
Another thing is that I find it hard to have motivation to get a job when my parents live so far from each other. I have to try and find a job directly between their houses, right on the bus line. Which makes it difficult. If I were to be at my mom's house full-time, it would make it a lot easier to get a job.
My question is this: I would like to know if any of you have the actual laws or links to the actual laws that say 1) I am legally allowed to switch parents at the age of 16 and 2) I am legally allowed to move out of my parents' houses at the age of 17.
I will definitely be living with mom, but if I gave dad both the laws, it might make it easier and prove my point more.
Note: I live in Colorado, USA.
Thank you all in advance for any help/advice/links that you share with me.

Well, this will be an issue. You need to first talk with your Mom and see if she will let you move in. Then you will need to have a lawyer approve changing your custody from your Dad to your Mom. Your Dad will then have to pay child support to her for you. He will not be happy. Good luck.

Back