$10 in gas gone after 15 miles, is this a fuel line leak?

RP

May 13, 2008
My husband just put $10 worth of gas in the family van (1995 Nissan Quest) and he has only drove it about 15 miles and the gas meter is registering on "E". We have also noticed a strong gas smell in the van when driving it. What could this be and is it expensive to fix? Perhaps it is a do it yourself task for people that know NOTHING about cars??

you should know if it is a gas line leak, fill the tank then leave it on in a clean parking lot for the time that it takes to drive fifteen miles going at regular speed, if you see what is dripping use duct tape or drive to a repair shop, i do not think it would be that expensive to fix considering hes probably just going to use duct tape to, its your call

Sounds like a leak to me. If it should be near the motor, you could be in a dangerous situation should the gas catch fire. Being you are smelling the gas in the vehicle, you must have quite the leak. It should be easy to find. Trace the gas line from the engine back to the tank. If you can't find a leak, I would take it down to the shop.

RP it is hard to say. It could be a few things.Is a fuel line lose. Is the cap on and not leaking and holding pressure. Is your tank leaking. And don't laugh but once I had a friend who someone was stealing gas out of his tank. Yes you smell it. So try to look near the gas tank. Check your connections and then lift up the hood and see if any fuel has leaked on top of the motor. Follow the lines.

it might be or maybe your car just eats gas badly :/
you might want to get it checked out at an auto parts place

yeah i would say you have a gas leak, could be a line or the tank. best way to find it is to park on clean cement and run it. if you see a puddle forming, theres your leak

the smell has nothing to do with the leak the car is a 95 .The smell could be differebt factors 1 old pipes and 2 the engine is not burning properly the gas 3 u may need a tunne up .Thats a 6 cilinder van and consumes a bit too much like all vans japonese or american .

mechanic for 15 years

you might have a gas leak somewhere... if not then my suggestion is your gas gauge is not reading right...

your float in your tank might have filled up with fuel and is weighing it down so its reading 0

or your gauge is just broken

Good luck

Back