Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Junior Member Saralovezchickenz's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can my crowntailed betta be in my 10 gallon tank with my other fish?

2 angelfish, 1 red platty, 2 shrimp, 3 frogs, 2 gouramies, and my new guppies that im breeding. But the thing is do I need to put them in my bettas bowl so my gouramies dont eat them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No.

I'm guessing your angelfish are young. You're going to have some SERIOUS problems in that tank as they age.

First of all, not even a single angelfish can be kept in a 10 gallon tank because it simply won't fit as it grows. Angelfish are tall - too tall for a 10 gallon. I personally would not house an angel in anything less than a 29 gallon. It might be small now, but it's gonna get big and aggressive. It will fight with your other angel and gouramis, too. That is, if it doesn't die of ammonia poisoning or stunted growth first.

And your gouramis, even if they're dwarf gouramis, probably won't work too well in that set-up either. Two male dwarf gouramis in a 10 gallon tank is asking for a fight. One would work, not two. And definitely not with those angelfish.

My advice? Return BOTH of the angelfish and ONE of the gouramis to the pet store. Add some more shrimp, maybe a couple more platies. But don't add the betta if you have a gourami in there. Bettas and gouramis are too similar; they'll fight.

Or you could return BOTH of the angelfish and BOTH of the gouramis and add your betta to the 10 gallon. Most bettas will get along with tankmates so long as they're not too wildly colored or aggressive.

But yeah, regardless, you need to return those angelfish. And I would recommend returning a gourami also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No.

I'm guessing your angelfish are young. You're going to have some SERIOUS problems in that tank as they age.

First of all, not even a single angelfish can be kept in a 10 gallon tank because it simply won't fit as it grows. Angelfish are tall - too tall for a 10 gallon. I personally would not house an angel in anything less than a 29 gallon. It might be small now, but it's gonna get big and aggressive. It will fight with your other angel and gouramis, too. That is, if it doesn't die of ammonia poisoning or stunted growth first.

And your gouramis, even if they're dwarf gouramis, probably won't work too well in that set-up either. Two male dwarf gouramis in a 10 gallon tank is asking for a fight. One would work, not two. And definitely not with those angelfish.

My advice? Return BOTH of the angelfish and ONE of the gouramis to the pet store. Add some more shrimp, maybe a couple more platies. But don't add the betta if you have a gourami in there. Bettas and gouramis are too similar; they'll fight.

Or you could return BOTH of the angelfish and BOTH of the gouramis and add your betta to the 10 gallon. Most bettas will get along with tankmates so long as they're not too wildly colored or aggressive.

But yeah, regardless, you need to return those angelfish. And I would recommend returning a gourami also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No. He cannot. Angelfish are more aggressive than betta fish, and will consider him a tasty morsel snack. I say get him his own 5gallon tank and a large tank for the other guys if you can't keep them with the gouramis.

EDIT: Carrie: I'd be more worried for the betta than the other fish. Bettas are very peaceful fish except to things that look like other bettas. They do well with catfish.

Downloads
    Uploads
    no. first bettas can make good community fish but not with angels the angels will get aggressive with age. second angels need at least a 30 gal tank when they get older cause they can get up to 6 inches. i would suggest removing the angels and then your betta could go in the ten gal...although he might see the guppies as little bettas and that could also pose a problem since bettas don't like other bettas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    first the angels may get to big for the tank and so would the gouramies guppies need an air pump to breath maybe a good idea to upgrade your tank to a 20 gallon tank

17 years experience with fish

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it can, bettas are usually aggressive but your fish swim fast so the betta wont bother them. Everything should be ok.

Downloads
    Uploads
    betas dont like other bettas. but you told me earlier that the guramis were eating the other fish so if you take them out it sould be fine. the guramis need to be taken out anyways

Downloads
    Uploads
    sure, if you don't mind it killing the other fish, otherwise NO!!!