...down (compress image) but not others? If I take an image that already exists in an old excel document and crop it down, then right click and compress the image; it properly resizes (trims off the cropped areas) and lowers the dpi of the image.

However, I recently have been taking photos with a panasonic DMC_LZ7 digital camera and trying to do the same thing. I'll take the photo at max res, copy it to my hard drive, insert the photo from file (it starts at about 3mb jpg; quite detailed). I crop it down the the appropriate area and then attempt to compress the image.

Instead of compressing it, it resets all the characteristics of the photo (contrast, brightness, cropping distances) to 0 and does not reduce the image size to the indicated amount. (I can copy the image out of excel into another document viewer and it is still much too large to have been compressed).

It seems another person had this problem as well and the reply here was a "sometimes it doesn't work and I don't know why".

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArGlyf1meHRUqnTs2ZXohG4jzKIX;_ylv=3?qid =20080905230719AAdM3W0

Do you have my answer?