Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Ganges is getting saltier. Should we in the 'west' start planning for the

wave of climate refugees yet? http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE5111RC20090202

are we in the 'developed' nations going to sit back and watch the water and land wars? will we be able to?

i dont think we will be able to insulate ourselves from the troubles to come, i think its time to bit the bullet and stump up for sustainable development.
    after all, its our historical emissions causing the problem.
    its been unrecognized for 6 years at least (i was taken through the maths in uni then), that worldwide we can't afford to emit more than the same again CO2eq that has already been emitted. so, to be fair, we have had 'our' share and our turn. any more we want to emit, we should pay through the nose, to let folk in 'developing' countries develop renewables instead.

as for the refugees, we should be getting ready to welcome them.

doh! that should be 'recognised',
    and
    'we can't afford to emit more than the same again of CO2eq than has already been emitted'
    (to avoid over the classic break point of 2 degrees warming by 2100)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course we should. Industrialized countries have emitted large quantities of greenhouse gases and this is known to be negatively affecting the climate. The correct course of action would be to take responsibility for our actions.