I want, and have wanted, a dog for a long time. I love australian shepherds, boarder collies, huskies, bermese mountain dogs as far as looks go. (among tons others, those are just my favories). I want a smart dog- of those 4, I've been around Aussies. They were probably smarter than I am! I am not looking for a dog who's too hyper/energetic (that's why I'm questioning boarder collies) but definetly pretty active. I have a cat, but may be moving out of the house with the cat so I'm not sure yet if that's going to be a factor. Let's assume it is, for now
I have a decent sized home, and a big yard with a medium chunk of fenced in area of this yard. I'd plan to walk quite a bit. It's New England weather .
I'm not sure what other factors would go into the breed choice. I'd be a first time owner, though I've spent a lot of time around dogs (I'm a barn girl) I don't know how to train them. (I'd go to obedience school!!) trainability and personality (friendly, energetic, smart, loyal) are what I'm wondering about.

I do not like teeny dogs, and I'm not a lab/retriever person. No offense to any one who loves them! I have nothing against them. I just wouldn't want one.

I'd be looking to get a puppy to train; I'm usually out of the house for 7 hour shifts but my grandparents live across the garage and with 4 of us living here, the trickle in and out's pretty steady. Pee breaks would be easy with the grandparents, but I'd need a dog that is okay by itself for a while at a time. (At least after it's grown a bit)

I'm 22 female, if it makes a difference.....