Wireless Router (Motorola SBG900) optimum/recommended settings?

NeOnD

Jan 20, 2009
I recently bought Motorola SBG900 broadband wireless router. But I'm not getting as good speed as I used to get with the leased NetLink router. The reason I bought Motorola is the reviews which suggested it outperformed even the popular brand Linksys. Ok, back to the point. Could somebody please suggest me the optimum/recommended settings for this wireless routers. For the record I have the Wireless channel -11, WEP enabled, firewall disabled, NAT enabled, DHCP-lease enabled for my wireless adapter. It works blazing fast when I reboot but soon resumes to slow speed within 5-6 mins. I also experienced connection drops with utorrents lately. Even the Starbucks non-secure wireless down the block appears better than my speed. Please Help !!!

Sorry to burst your bubble but unless your router and network card are Gigabit ethernet, you will only get relatively fast speeds but thats about it. Have you checked your task manager to see if your network is active during these slow downs? You probably have spyware or a virus running behind the scenes. Especially that you mentioned you are using bittorent. Another thing to know is recently in the news ISP such as Comcast have attempted to block bittorent users, but the FCC wouldn't allow them to do that because it was illegal. So what they decided to do is throttle people who are using bittorent applications. You are probably being monitored. and your bandwidth throttled.

Back