It's been 9 months and he still doesn't want to meet my parents?

jamier

May 21, 2008
My boyfriend is 12 years older than me. I'm in college and we've been together 9 months...almost a year. We'll definitely last a while, I can tell--and I know by now that he isn't in it for sex. My parents are protective of me and my mom is constantly asking when they'll meet and he's never "ready". I haven't met his parents yet but we constantly talk about our families and each other to our families. I thinkit would be extremely simple to meet the parents for the first time as a "hi i'm blah. nice to meet you. we'll be back later..bye" you know? at least for my parents..sinc ei'm so young. I understand his parents take it very seriuosly now that he should be settling down. We both love each other and I'm sure if we didn't live away from each other we would be living with each other. But I'm at college and he travels between two cities, both 1-3 hours away. My parents are in one of the cities and his parents are in the other. So yeah, it's a little complicated to set up a time to meet them, but he isn't ready for me to meet his parents, which is fine. But we all want him to meet my parents..except for him.

I didn't exactly give him an ultimatum, but I told him that by our one year anniversary, if he hasn't met them, I won't take him seriously. That's not too much to ask, right?

gal..don u thnk..love is not bout jus meeeting up ur parents..i knw, i knw..u might be thnkin dat if he is not meeting with ur parents dats means he is not serious bout u..but w8 gal..if he is'nt den howcum he let u meet wit his parents... haan?
he loves u..but gal don be in rush..tke sumtyme...

hi i think you are right he should have had enough time to meet your parents.it is important to you and he owes it to you to make you happy if he really loves you he will meet your parents.he is a grown man and you need to tell him he needs to act like it are (ask him what is he hiding?) you would like to meet his family and you are willing he should be too.yes your parents are protective of you and that is understanding in their part.ask him is he ashamed of being with you are whats the deal?you are in my thoughts and good luck

He's probably really afraid of what they'll think about his age and the age difference between you two. He knows that they'll ask "why are you with our daughter? how come you cant find someone your own age" or something to that effect. I can understand that it may be nerve wrecking for someone with such an age difference to meet someones parents but if he really loves you, he'll do it. I think its fair that you're kinda telling him that if he doesnt agree to meet the folks you wont take him seriously. I think he's just being selfish and insecure but it isnt fair to you.

...My friend I was just f*ckin (before we were official) met my parents...theres something weird about that. It doesn't take that long. I wouldn't take him serious either and I wouldn't give him the next 3 months. He needs to go with you like this weekend or something, or you need to be seeing less of him. That really just makes me feel like he's either A) hiding something, B) Insecure, or C) using you for sex...

That's not too much to ask at all. If you two are involved in a serious relationship, the least he can is take the five minutes or so it takes to briefly introduce himself to your parents. It doesn't even have to be a lengthy introduction, just like you said, a quick hello before you two go somewhere. After a year, this shouldn't even be a debate; it should have already happened.

Back