What biblical proof do Amish use to condemn modern living?

BlackLikeATar

Feb 6, 2009
I have a friend whose family was kicked out because they started asking the leaders to prove their position against 'English' living from the Bible.
What do they have to say about black people. Since you don't really see Black Amish people.

I don't know why the Amish do what they do but there isn't anything in the bible that says you can't do "normal" things.

They don't have much, it's simply their conviction of the matter of religion. The bible says to set yourself apart from the world, but my convictions tell me that's not the way to do that. There are passages speaking for and against, but its not specific.

The Amish way of life is based on everything being plan and as "by the book" (meaning the bible) as they can in this modern world that surrounds them. That includes everything down to not having mustaches with their beards because the bible only mentions men having beards, but it says nothing about mustaches. They figure if they live a plain lifestyle as close to the way they lived in biblical times (within reason), they will be saved.

Many of their groups use only GERMAN language in the service, to keep the general populace out, i.e. have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness.

SOME of the Amish will not use moderninity because they claim it promotes worldliness and laziness.

I have noticed a few claiming to be Amish online, they may have something better.

I know some Mennonite that have similar views to some degree.

Black People?? Well, I do know a retired Mennonite couple that have taken a black child by adoption. However, other than that, what would they say??? "HEiii Mule"??

It's just that they don't want to get caught up in the modern, materialistic ways of life that the majority of the Earth has because they don't want it to make them obsessed with material items, and not devote themselves to God.
There's no Biblical proof, it's just that that's how they choose to glorify God and we shouldn't criticize them for it.

I agree with the first answer, I doubt you will see much Amish support on the internet save for those few forgotten souls still watching Weird Al's "Amish Paradise" on youtube...

I don't know if this is really aimed at the amish or not but:

Jas:4:4: Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

The Amish do not condemn modern living.To the Amish family and faith matter the most and they hold these standards against any modern goods.

For an example- they do not use TVs, not because Tvs are bad, but because they have the potential to have a negative influence.The Bible condemns laziness and the TV is also seen as something that fosters the bad habit of laziness and as something that could interfer with family life.

The Amish do use some modern goods that do comply with their faith- the New Orders use tractors and modern milking machines, pregnant women, invalids and business men can use mobile phones.The Old Orders can use drills and lawnmowers and the Beachy Amish-Mennonites use electricity, cars and computers.Some even listen to hymns on CDs and use the Internet to have blogs.Each church differs slightly- one church will permit lawn mowers but no buttons on clothes for vanity's sake, but the next church may not permit lawn mowers, but will permit buttons and electricity in the barn.The Amish use gas power, solar power and hydrological power to run their fridges, water heaters, lamps, stoves and milking machines.

Another factor, is the verse:

Romans 12:2
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

The Amish include the use of electricity as conforming with the world.If electricity is introduced, they fear their values and faith will disintegrate--especially when they saw Mennonite churches that got gradually more liberal with cars and electricity and then computers and DVDs and then the Internet and discarding plain dress and now have left the faith.

PS-There are blacks, Indian, coloureds and Hispanics who are Amish-Mennonite and Conservative Mennonite in faith.The Amish faith is stricter and therefore harder for outsiders to join.The Amish and Mennonites also originated from Europe, which is why so many are white.

Most Amish that I know do not condemn modern living. They use most modern conveniences (phones, cars, even computers and the Internet) when they can use them without owning them. Some church elders may not like this practice, but it's pretty common in my area. They also are practical enough to understand they cannot survive in a modern world without some adjustments. One of the most public is the use of electric lights on their horse-drawn buggies. Too many Amish were being killed by driving without lights in high traffic areas. Survival provided the reasoning for going modern with proper lighting.

all i know is the amish are pretty fked up. i mean what the hell, its 2009 get with the fkn program, y would you wanna live like that. srsly, i hate amish people, they look like 200lbs of bird $h1t. I mean its their choice but they are still douches

Back