UFC Undefeated Lightheavyweight Championship?

MichaelM

May 15, 2008
Undefeated lightheavyweight championship
"sugar" rashad evans vs. lyoto "dragon" machida

who wins this one? rashads explosiveness/quickness/power vs. lyotos elusiveness/intelligent/precision.

Good question, after seeing Machida last night, I was totally impressed, but Evans...I don't think he has figured out a way to lose.

At UFC 94 Machida totally nuked Silva, landing over 80% of his punches.

Interesting match-up... What's intriguing is that both are essentially counterstrikers. It would be nice to see who would be the aggressor. But when it comes to striking the edge goes to Machida. I don't think Evans would keep Machida on the ground as evidenced by Machida's win over Ortiz. If Evans does go to the ground he should be weary of Lyoto's ground game but Evans does have good ground and pound.

I won't expect a knockout for Sugar like the one he did on Liddel and I won't also expect a KO from Machida. The winner could be decided by who would press the action and be the agressor. This will go all the way with Machida getting a close decision and becoming the new UFC LHW Champion!

I would go with Rashad on that one. Rashad was able to capitalize on Liddell's counter unching style so I'm sure he would do the same with Machida. My guess is that he would get Machida on the ground, and keep him there.

This is a real toss of the coin matchup. Rashad is also an intelligent fighter who has adapted his tactics to negate those of his opponents *think Bisping, Chuck). Despite all the bad press he seems to get, I like Machida's style as well. He follows the basic tenets of martial arts: hit without being hit!

I'm going for Machida on points in a cagey encounter.

This is a real toss of the coin matchup. Rashad is also an intelligent fighter who has adapted his tactics to negate those of his opponents *think Bisping, Chuck). Despite all the bad press he seems to get, I like Machida's style as well. He follows the basic tenets of martial arts: hit without being hit!

I'm going for Machida on points in a cagey encounter.

Back