Do big rims cause axles to snap?

Dizzy_fa_life2003

Oct 21, 2008
i have a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE and i have 20inch rims, i've had them rims for almost 2yrs now, but i had them on my car for about almost a year without taking them off, this past monday night, i was driving and makin a left around a bend when suddenly my car stalled and my steering wheel locked and i slammed right into a curb, when i got out tha car my front right wheel was pushed back towords the mud flaps, when i tried to drive, the car could barley move cuz the front wheel was hittin the mud flap, now my boy looked at it, and said my Lower Arm Control is bend, (which i saw myself) and he also noticed that my axle had snaped too, now would Big rims cause and axle to snap after having those rims on for a long time?? even if the rims fit tha car?? also when axles snap on cars, does tha car stall for the drivers protection? if so then im asuming thats wat happen to my car, but to replace an axle and a lower arm control how much would i be looking at if i were to take it to pepboys, goodyear, or any mechanic shop like that?? even if i have the parts, and also when everything is fixed, is there a possiblity that this might happen again if i keep those 20inch rims on?? or what, somebody please give me answers to solve my problem.....THANK YOU!!

Simple answer is yes. You've put rims and tires on the vehicle that were not recommended by the manufacturer. Putting rims and tires like that on a car forces the other parts to take extra stress on every turn and bump.

Sometimes when there is a failure, such as you mentioned, it puts binding on the transmission and subsequently on the engine forcing it to stall out. Usually this type of modification also causes the warranty to void for reason.

From what you describe fixing this properly will cost quite a bit even if you haven't damaged your transmission, most likely you have. You may not notice the transmission damage right away but I bet you will in about a year or two. No matter what you will be fighting odd drive train problems for a very long time.

If the overall diameter of the tire isn't significantly larger than stock, the wheel size won't be an issue.
I suspect the lower control arm damage was caused from hitting the curb - the steering wheel most likely didn't "lock" but rather lost the power assist when the car stalled.
The axle more than likely broke when you tried to drive it with the wheel pushed back - it didn't want to move not because the tire was hitting the mud flap, but because the CV joint was angled back and binding up.
Get a few different estimates for repairs in your area - and don't be afraid to call a few local salvage yards for a much lower price on the parts.

No big rims cannot cause it to snap but hitting the curb will. The reason it will barely go is because one side of the axle is snapped. Im saying that one of the wheels are spinning but the other one isn't.

don't blame the rims on poor driving, what you describe is going to be expensive as hell. Believe me it's not the rims or everybody would be hitting curbs.

20 " rims have no business being on a family car like that. However, I seriously doubt the axle breaking had anything to do with the oversized wheels. Axles dont just break, I have never in my life seen an axle that broke. They make noise because of lack of lubrication and fail due to snap rings that give, or inner cv joint coming out of it's casing due to faulty motor mounts. And no, the axle wont "this past monday night, i was driving and makin a left around a bend when suddenly my car stalled and my steering wheel locked and i slammed right into a curb". Your boyfriend seems on the right course, the control arm is probably bent.

don't blame the rims on poor driving, what you describe is going to be expensive as hell. Believe me it's not the rims or everybody would be hitting curbs.

well truth is yes most likely anything ove rstock does put a strain on all other parts front end brakes transmission sure it looks cool but changing a design of a car will always throw off something to solve your problem go back to stock the ride wil better and you will save gas and your truck will last 10 yrs longer

Back