Jeep Light Bar Wind Drag?

robinb

Mar 29, 2008
I Have this Jeep TJ, 98 Hardtop and I am thinking of installing accessories like light bars, chrome bumpers whatever. Im really concerned about installing a light bar though. The jeep is hard enough on gas as it is, and a light bar would give it more drag. I think i get an average 17 mpg. I go 30 miles from home to town and back, and occasionally drive off road. If i installed a light bar on the top of the windshield with maybe 4-5 4" round lights how much gas mileage would I lose exactly? If the drag is not too bad than it would be ok, but if i loss 3-4 mpg I would probably not bother.

Why not go with a low profile light bar. I'm an EMT and I have one on my car. Didn't notice any drop in gas mileage.

lol you jeep guys are baby's how can u lose that much mpg from a light bar maybe you should invest in a tune up and some upgrades to get better mpg if that's what your worried about .....i drive a Ford Bronco and get about the same as you and its only getting better withe the mods im doing we drive trucks cus we love them and want them i dint care to much about mpg as long as it better the 10 ha ha

Luggage roof racks bicycles skis and anything that disturbs the air flow will ruin the air flow and gas mileage. each round light has to push wind around it. Hows it feel when you stick your hand out into the 70 mph wind X 4 or x 5 Get the idea? there are ways to improve fuel economy. Quality spark plugs plug wires new cap and rotor Better distributor Advance the spark timing better tires use rear view Camera instead of outside mirrors. Smooth out the under side of the truck. Running a warmer thermostat and warm air induction. Synthetic oils in all the units. I would not fall for turbine air tornado's and fuel line magnets.

Back