What is the Point fof a diesel Audi R8?

sule14lfc

Jan 21, 2009
Aren't supercars meant to be for people who could afford the amount of petrol that a hungry supercar needs

Umm. You know that Audi R10 that has been winning endurance races like there is no tomorrow, it has a diesel engine. So dont talk smack about the diesel power. Besides, speaking of affordability, here in US diesel is more expensive then petrol.

God knows! Niche marketing gone mad if you ask me.
For all the folk who mention torque...what the hell are you planning on doing with a 2 door mid-engined supercar? Towing a caravan with it?
A Diseasel may have a huge headline torque figure, but it also has a stupidly narrow power band like a sports bike, not to mention turbo lag.
Nope, I'll have mine with a petrol engine.....see you at 8000rpm!

Massive torque

The new Audi V12 diesel in the Q7 produces 1000Nm with ease. A petrol equivalent would probably be half to two thirds of that.

The R8 diesel has certain performance advantages arising from the use of a diesel engine. It also has some environmental advantages, but I rather doubt this is a major factor for those who would buy it.

Besides, diesel is usually more expensive than petrol in many countries and, despite it's relative efficiency, equivalent fuel cost for diesels are therefore unlikely to be lower.

For people who love to spend money?..

5 Year Total
Depreciation $62,184
Fuel Cost $8,508
Financing $18,408
Insurance $18,620
Maintenance $2,885
Fees, Taxes $9,259
Repairs $1,362
Opportunity Cost $18,414

Total>>>> $131,726.00 >> CAR COST 109,000.00 dollars..

Back