i need help with my car audio system is there anyone out there that can help me...

tukanuka

Jan 21, 2009
...get the what I need ? I want to put an audio system into my 1997 jeep grand cheeroke i want to buy the amp sub's n box and all that But i have never done this before i want the best for the lowest cost the that sounds great and really BOOMS ya kno what iam sayin? lol But is there anyone out there that can give me some advice on what to get because iam completely lost!!??
Is 4000 watts in a Amp too much? What are the best brands?
What all do i need to get? Thanks soo much

lol this would take a day to explain... here's a summary
you need: power wires, a fuse, speaker wires, RCA signal wires, a radio, an amp, a sub a box

Wiring: you need to run a power wire from the battery to the amp. This wire is very important, do not skimp on this. Since you want max boom, lots of power = thick power wire (4 gauge or less) and a large fuse (100A-150A). The smaller the Gauge number the thicker the wire and the more power it can handle. The amp ground cable should be made of the same gauge cable. You will also need to run RCA signal wires from the radio to the amp and 1 remote wire (this tells the amp to turn on when the radio comes on). Then you need the speaker cables to connect the amp to the subs

Power: The biggest battery that will fit in your engine with the highest cranking amp rating. A capacitor also helps control dimming and protect spike-sensitive circuitry. The rule of thumb is at least 1 farad for every 1000 watts (I prefer 2x that). Hi-amp alternators are necessary for huge power (like 4000 watt amps)

Amp: Class D amps are best for bass. They use less power and produce less heat. 1000 watts (RMS! not peak!) in bass is a very loud system, start with something around that. If you want to use a ported sub box get an amp with a "Subsonic filter". I run a Cerwin-Vega EXL-1200D and I am very happy with it. Make sure to check an amp's RMS rating, most cheap companies will say "1000 watts" huge on the front and the reality is they only make 500 RMS (continuous). The best amps rate their power at a low "THD" (0.1% or less). set the low pass filter of the amp where you like it best (around 80-100 hz should suit you)

Subs: #1 important choice is your box. All subs have a recommended box type (sealed/ported) and size (cubic feet). If you do not match them the sub will not sound properly. In an open vehicle like a Grand Cherokee a ported or bandpass box is the best choice for max volume. 12's are a great overall choice. If you want louder booming bass get 10s. if you want very deep rumbling bass get 15's. Again, note the RMS power rating, not the peak.

Radio: get a radio that has dedicated subwoofer outputs, that way you can control the volume from your seat. a remote output on a radio is used to turn on your amp.

You are looking at spending around $600 for a decent, basic setup. If you have the money the sky is the limit (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2124933)

email me if you have questions

lol this would take a day to explain... here's a summary
you need: power wires, a fuse, speaker wires, RCA signal wires, a radio, an amp, a sub a box

Wiring: you need to run a power wire from the battery to the amp. This wire is very important, do not skimp on this. Since you want max boom, lots of power = thick power wire (4 gauge or less) and a large fuse (100A-150A). The smaller the Gauge number the thicker the wire and the more power it can handle. The amp ground cable should be made of the same gauge cable. You will also need to run RCA signal wires from the radio to the amp and 1 remote wire (this tells the amp to turn on when the radio comes on). Then you need the speaker cables to connect the amp to the subs

Power: The biggest battery that will fit in your engine with the highest cranking amp rating. A capacitor also helps control dimming and protect spike-sensitive circuitry. The rule of thumb is at least 1 farad for every 1000 watts (I prefer 2x that). Hi-amp alternators are necessary for huge power (like 4000 watt amps)

Amp: Class D amps are best for bass. They use less power and produce less heat. 1000 watts (RMS! not peak!) in bass is a very loud system, start with something around that. If you want to use a ported sub box get an amp with a "Subsonic filter". I run a Cerwin-Vega EXL-1200D and I am very happy with it. Make sure to check an amp's RMS rating, most cheap companies will say "1000 watts" huge on the front and the reality is they only make 500 RMS (continuous). The best amps rate their power at a low "THD" (0.1% or less). set the low pass filter of the amp where you like it best (around 80-100 hz should suit you)

Subs: #1 important choice is your box. All subs have a recommended box type (sealed/ported) and size (cubic feet). If you do not match them the sub will not sound properly. In an open vehicle like a Grand Cherokee a ported or bandpass box is the best choice for max volume. 12's are a great overall choice. If you want louder booming bass get 10s. if you want very deep rumbling bass get 15's. Again, note the RMS power rating, not the peak.

Radio: get a radio that has dedicated subwoofer outputs, that way you can control the volume from your seat. a remote output on a radio is used to turn on your amp.

You are looking at spending around $600 for a decent, basic setup. If you have the money the sky is the limit (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2124933)

email me if you have questions

Back