Mma (ufc, Pride, Etc) Vs Tma?

CHUCO

Oct 22, 2008
I think of MMA (UFC, PRIDE, OCTAGON ETC) more of a sport than a martial art sort of like boxing kick boxing etc. When I think of TMA'S I think of a cultures system of fighting that is used to kill and defend oneself from being killed. That is why MA's were created in the first place. to mix traditional martial arts is one thing but to mix them as a sport is completely different. the MMA you see on tv it somewhat brain washes its viewers in making them believe that that sport is the greatest way out of all martial arts. However the biggest mistake is that that MMA faze is a sport more so than a lethal fighting art and most john does just cant accept that reality. These growing number of people who obsess over this sport are causing the TMA'S to go underground now many masters teach their art at their home because nobody believes their art can contend with the MMA you see on tv and the masters cannot make a decent living teaching it at a studio because there numbers will be low. The thing they dont get is that what their seeing on TV is a sport like wrestling and boxing combined these "worthless and powerless" TMA'S they so reffer to were ment to kill that is there original nature. following the commentary i have just shared with you it brings me to my question

I highly doubt an art can die 100% but I do believe that their mainstream perceptions can be greatly watered down from what was the arts originality and original functions

but

As the years progress will what people consider a martial arts evolve into a sport and will what was ment to kill as in TMA's disolve from mainstream existence completely? shall they be maintained in where their needed such as military, etc? what do you believe is to become of the TMA's of today as we progress to tomorow

i have no idea why you would think traditional martial arts has no studio's.
all 3 of my teachers still have dojo's of there own. and so do many of there students.
there are about 23 dojo's/dojang's with in 20 minutes of my house.
there are hundreds of dojo's dojang's and kwoon's in new york city alone.
Traditional arts are still just as popular as before.
My student opened up a traditional dojo in august of last year, he has almost 30 students since he opened.
traditional arts have survived hundreds of years and they will continue to survive. i don't see them going anywhere soon.

i had this same argument with one of my students not to long ago. he though the same as you.

Back