Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an Acer Aspire 7720G laptop, can I get more memory installed and...

...change the HD-DVD player to Blu-Ray? specs are intel core 2.4GHz duo processor T7700/ 4mb L2 cashe
    3GB DDR2 250GB hard disk!
    Now because i bought it before HD DVD war was over can I change it to a Blu-ray burner etc and install more memory?! like get the pros to do it a PC world or anyother computer shop? Also I have a1280MB Nvidia GeForce 8600m Gt graphics card with it...can I update that as well!?

cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads
    for the prices your talking about it would be cheaper to buy a new laptop.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You should be able to do all of the things you've mentiod.

Replacing the graphics card is probably the most difficult.

Let start with the first one, memory.

Memory is upgraded, usually through a panel on the bottom of the laptop. The panel usually has a little picture of a microchip on it to show you which panel. It has one or two retaining screws.

You basically buy the memory chips from a supplier and then unscrew the panel and slot the chips in.

This guide is good it shows you how step by step:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/laptop_2.htm

The memory chips need to be the correct kind for your laptop, so use the memory advisor tool on the crucial.com web site to tell you how much you can put in the laptop and what kind it needs to be:

http://www.crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/uk

Find a Blu-Ray drive for your laptop and replacing it should straightforward. The drive normally slots out of the side and the new one slots in. It is usually held by a retaining screw.

If you want to upgrade your graphics card, it usually takes alot of work, since the graphics card is on the motherboard. You need to disassemble the laptop. It usually means taking it apart and putting it all back together. It's easy for someone who knows how but it can be very difficult if you have never done it. The laptop needs to be taken apart in a certain order and put back together in a certain order. If you don't do it properly you can damage you laptop.

If you've never done it then you'd be better taking it to a professional to upgrade it for you.

This guide shows you what's involved for another Acer model:

http://www.laptopmods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2&highlight=ati

Doing all of this work is probably going to be very expensive, memory should be cheap but the others will be costly, so weigh it up before you proceed. Buying a new laptop with the required specification will probably be cheaper.

Hope the information helps you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its a laptop, You cant upgrade the graphics.

and an internal blue ray player with cost a lot as an extra (because its a laptop)

more ram will be cheap, the DDR2 stuff is any how, but if your on a 32bit operating system, more than 3Gb will not be accepted by your o/s (you need a 64bit o/s, if your mother board supports 64 bit operating systems (e.g. Vista 64 bit / Linux 64bit).

3GB ram should be fine for any blue ray player, If your on Vista, the next service pack (SP2, due any day now, will come with updates to support Blue - ray in windows media player).

Why not test your graphic card out playing a download in hi-def 1080i, Download them from Microsoft web site and see if your graphics can handle them in full screen mode.

Does your monitor display resolution go up to 1080p?
    (True 1080i = 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.)

If you max screen resolution is a lot lower than 1920 x 1080, then I would reconsider the point of a blue-ray player without a screen that can show the detail.

Downloads
    Uploads
    on the blue ray --yes and u have to get it from hp direct --and only if it was a option for ur model --if it wasn't a option u have to change the motherboard with the cd/dvd rom --which would be expensive ---an an external drive ris the same it won't support it --now the ram u can change use cruical.com to find that out
    and ur stuck with the vid card it is none user replaceable --that is fixed to the motherboard
    remember u have a laptop not a desk top