Is it better to get a new bike or a used bike if you rarely ride?

BRF

Aug 30, 2008
I don't ride a lot- 500-1000 miles a year. I'd like to ride a little more, but I know it will never be a lot.

I'm on my 4th bike now, and I thought about selling it, but its worth it to have one around even if I don't ride a lot.

I want to get more of a multifunction bike- like a dual sport, that I can just keep around for when I want to ride it. I wouldnt mind having the same bike 10+ years. Money isn't really an issue, the big thing for me is reliability and trustworthyness.

Does it make sense to get a new bike, keep it in good condition, and then 10 years from now sell a 9000 mile bike, buy a 2-5 year old 10k cared for bike, and sell it 10 years from now with 20k, or keep buying older bikes, keep them for a few years and then sell them off cheap.

I don't like the last option (what I'm doing now) because I just don't feel safe enough to ride enough with that much questionable history behind them.

Any ideas/input?

You really should ride more often to keep up your skill level. You will lose some of your ability to ride safely over time unless you are active in the saddle. Using a used bike may be the best solution. Why spend money on a brand new model only to ride it rarely.

Back