Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Home Theater Buying Confusion?

I have no knowledge of how this works. All I have right now is my TV, and an Xbox 360, both of which I wish to use with the surround sound. My tv is a 32 inch LCD HDTV Emerson. It has a sticker on the front that says HDMI and another one that says Dolby. What does that mean. Does it mean i have to use a dolby home theater product? Also I know that you need a receiver and the speakers, but I dont know if some speakers dont work with certain receivers, etc. I want to buy the receiver and speakers from Amazon.com and I'd like to spend 150 but I'll go 200 if I have too. Could someone give me a few links to good products that I can use. Whichever answer i buy wins the best answer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your TV is just saying it's compatible with the Dolby sound format. Dolby does not make home theater products, so you don't have to worry about that.

With a $200 budget you're going to have to go with a bundled home theater setup. I always recommend a receiver-based system rather than a DVD-based system. That way you don't have plenty of connections and no redundancy. I usually recommend Onkyo's systems because they're a good value for the money. I received a "hot sheet" sale advert from eCost today. They're selling the Onkyo HT-S4100 for $170. The MSRP is $500. Amazon and newegg have it for $350, so at $180 you're getting a pretty good deal. But there's a clock on this sale, so grab it while you can.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S4100&class=Systems&p=i
    http://www.ecost.com/Detail.aspx?edp=42799990&navid=155441519