Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What to do about Rude gossiping co-workers?

I recently accepted a job as a Self Storage Manager with one of my previous employers competitors.I left my last job because they couldn't accommodate my pay request. The facility I ran was #1 in the area and I am still working in that same area just for a different employer. needless to say the sign-on bonus was nice. BUT here is the problem, my employer has several facilities and I am being trained by ppl who were once my Competition. There is a negative vibe in the air. I HAVE overheard them gossip about everything from what i'm being paid to them being jealous that i have weekends off and other perks I received for accepting this job.At first I could have cared less but it's interfering with my learning of my new job.There are things I believe they are delibratly not teaching me to see me fail. I just can't believe the instant negativity Ive gotten from ppl I barely know. All they've known about me is that I ran the largest, most profitable store in the area, and youd think that they would be happy to have someone as productive as I am on the team.

Junior Member OldaimprovedAspiee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't mention your old work ever.

I know what you mean though. Just do your work, to the best of your ability without all the knowledge you're supposed to have, and if in doubt on anything, ask neutrally of your supervisor or the next one up. Sometimes people ARE petty like that, but do your job anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The best thing to do is not get involved, do your work & go home at the end of the day.

Junior Member OldaimprovedAspiee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't mention your old work ever.

I know what you mean though. Just do your work, to the best of your ability without all the knowledge you're supposed to have, and if in doubt on anything, ask neutrally of your supervisor or the next one up. Sometimes people ARE petty like that, but do your job anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry but you sound annoying i can see why they would gossip about you

Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to talk to your district manager or human resources. Describing pay alone can get people fired from their job.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to be 100% focused on your job. Ignore any comments that are overheard and respond to any comments that are negative with a clear response stating that you are doing your job and any comments that are unrelated TO YOUR JOB NOW are inappropriate.

You have to be especially professional as that is why you are where you are.

Be firm, be professional and if you have any questions you should mention them to your supervisor after you have tried this approach.

Those that are training you are NO longer your competition, they are on the same team. You need to emphasize that.