Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Car Problem Saturn SC2?

Recently, my car has been more difficult to start (longer time until it turns over). I recently changed the spark plugs and gave it an oil change (I'm using Synthetic High Mileage Oil).

Yesterday, my car took the longest to turn over than it has ever, but I figured since it had been sitting for 24 hours and it was pretty cold out that that was the reason. I drove 1/2 mile to the store, then 15 minutes later when I came out the car wouldn't start. The lights were dimming but windows and locks still worked, so I tried jumping it assuming it was the battery. I drove it home, revving the engine pretty high, and let it sit for a few minutes, then rev'd the engine again and it dies right then and there, and wouldn't restart. I am thinking it is the alternator, but I don't have a voltage meter to test it...

Any suggestions are appreciated....THANKS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The situation getting worse, the more you tried makes it appear that your alternator isn't charging the battery. You can drive off just the battery until it is used up and that sounds like your situation. If the alternator was good, revving the engine would have charged the battery up more.

There's a chance that you have loose and corroded battery terminals, so before you spend any money or hire someone who's going to charge something, clean and tighten the battery terminals and clamps and make sure you cannot twist them around after you tighten them up. That might fix it. If not, you need a mechanic, if you aren't skilled in auto repair yourself.

Radio Shack sells pocket-sized voltmters for around $20. With the engine running, you want to see about 14 volts on the battery. If it is just 12 or less and never goes higher, ther alternator is the problem.