Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can Blu-ray play Dvd's or do i have to buy all blu rays disc?

so will this be like VHS were i have to buy or is their some device were i can change my dvds into blu rays

Downloads
    Uploads
    You will need to read the box of the player you have purchased, or are planning to purchase. Most Blu-ray players have dual-reading disc technology, to where you can do both.

It may cost a bit more, but it's worth not having to purchase all your movies again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blu-ray players can play DVDs in addition to Blu-ray DVDs. Most will automatically upconvert to 1080, but the resolution/result depends on how nice your original DVD's picture is.

No, you don't have to buy another DVD player to play your DVDs. Your Blu-ray player will play both.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, they'll play regular DVD's too. I get my wife's "Chick flicks" on DVD (you really don't need to pay extra $$ for blu-rays when there's so little action), and buy Blu-ray's for action movies and documentaries like "Planet Earth." Regular DVD's will also play better on Blu-Ray players, as it will automatically upconvert DVD's to near 1080 clarity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First, I think Tedd meant by "changing them into Blu-Rays" going out and buying new Blu-Ray versions of the same movie...

All of the Blu-Ray players I have used (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Marantz) will play standard DVDs just fine. The will usually be capable of up-converting standard DVDs from 480 resolution up to 1080. While some Blu-Ray players don't do as good of a job up-converting standard DVDs and a some high quality non Blu-Ray up-converting DVD players (i.e. OPPO models) they all do at least a decent job. I have not seen a Blu-Ray player yet that played a standard DVD and made it look worse than it did originally.

With that said Blu-Ray players can be buggy and slow. I don't have one I will hands down recommend to a client. If you can stand it keep waiting. They may not get much cheaper but they will get better and more stable... I hope.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. They also play DVD's. If I were you I would look for a blu-ray player with a built in "upconverter" which basically means the player will make your dvd look better. I picked mine up at Costco for around $200.00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. They also play DVD's. If I were you I would look for a blu-ray player with a built in "upconverter" which basically means the player will make your dvd look better. I picked mine up at Costco for around $200.00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, they'll play regular DVD's too. I get my wife's "Chick flicks" on DVD (you really don't need to pay extra $$ for blu-rays when there's so little action), and buy Blu-ray's for action movies and documentaries like "Planet Earth." Regular DVD's will also play better on Blu-Ray players, as it will automatically upconvert DVD's to near 1080 clarity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. also, how on earth could you change a dvd into a blue ray, that would require ADDING information to the disc. You aren't very technologically adept, are you? I also don't see why some people go on yahoo answers for questions like these when a 2 second google search would give you the answer just fine.