Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

what does trace mean in the nutrition information?

i am wanting to know what do they mean by trace when you look at the nutrition information on how fat the food is, i am wanting to know what is the lowest fat in grams and highest fat in grams, so i can keep a note of how to keep myself healthy in low fat food?,

P.S do not give me web links as i have already tried that and it's useless, i just want a straight answer thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads
    It means there's a teeny tiny bit but it's so insignificant that it can't be measured.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trace basically means there is just a trace amount of that ingredient in the food.

Usually less than 0.1g

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trace means such a small amount that they cannot calculate how much is in there but have to mention it because they law states it must be mentioned and for allergy information.

Hope that helps clear it up for you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trace basically means none but there may be a tiny amount or a trace present.

For example. If you had 10 litres of water and added one drop of orange juice, there would be atrace of orange juice in the water, however it is so small it is irrelevant.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe that "trace" means that a certain element is present, but in a very small quantity, just enough for it's presence to be detected.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fat is usually measured to the nearest half gram.

If it's less than half a gram, they call it 'trace'

Whether or not you count it (either rounding up to .5g or choosing not to count it) by the end of they day the difference shouldn't be more than a gram. (Assuming you don't consume a lot of products with a 'trace') the caloric differnce won't be more than 9 Calories, again assuming you consume a gram or less of fat between all of the 'traces'

In Europe, they measure the nutritional values to the tenth place quite often, and
    Calories aren't rounded (in America, Calories are usually rounded to the nearest 5 or 10)-so something packaged in Europe may say it has 68 Calories (except they use kcal) whereas the same product in the USA will say it has 70 Calories. So there's not much point to counting to the exact Calorie or portion of a fat gram since our labels aren't that exact. Try just counting to the nearest fat gram and rounding your Calories

Also, if nutritional values look off, they probably are. I can't tell you how many mistakes I've found on labels!

Downloads
    Uploads
    trace means a very tiny bit

Downloads
    Uploads
    Trace means there's hardly any there.
    They say that 5g and below (of saturated fats) is recommended when following a healthy eating plan.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "Trace" means the amount is negligable or to small to messure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast