Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Please ring the bell" - how is this a rude notice?

People used to use my letterbox to 'knock' at my door instead of ring the prominently displayed doorbell. If I happened to be in the front room at the time, it was fine ... but I have a mild hearing problem that prevents me from hearing the letterbox when too far away from it. To combat this, I put a little notice on top of the letterbox that reads, "Please ring the bell". I've had family and even some friends complain that this is rude and commanding.

What is wrong with a notice politely requesting that someone rings the bell, because I really don't see the issue!?

Downloads
    Uploads
    They have a issue... not you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think it's rude either. I always prefer the doorbell over knocking anyway. The letterbox is for letters. If it was supposed to be used to knock on someone's door, they would have called it something else. How rude are these people to be using something to knock your door that isn't even a doorknocker! Don't worry about what they say. Just don't answer the door when they use the letterbox. When they tell you later that they stopped by, tell them "Gee, I didn't hear the dorobell."

Also, just as a pet peeve, I hate people who knock on your desk at work to get your attention. I say, I have a name. Use it.

GOOD LUCK!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't think they have anything better to do then harass you about your "rude" notice. Tell them to get the hell over it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see nothing wrong with it personally.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing wrong with a 'polite notice', which it is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's nothing rude about this. Sometimes it's best to give instructions to people. It's your home, so you're the one who makes the rules. What does your family suggest that you do instead?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's not rude at all, don't know why anybody would think it was.

A guy that works for me is always looking to be upset with somebody for something; ( I thinks its a weird little power trip). Sounds like you have one or two of those in your area, too.

Junior Member HighschoolSophomore's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, i think your family and friends might find it rude, because they know you very well, and maybe feel like that notice should be for a stranger or something. They don't think that the same rules apply to them because they actually know you. I personally don't think that it is rude, because you even used the word "please". Maybe you should make the sign prettier and bigger so that you can be sure that they can read it, and follow what it says.

Your friends and family also might not obey you wish because they think that they can do what they want as long as you keep accepting it, no matter how many signs you put up. People like that can be annoying, but i hope everything works out for the best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have weird family and friends innit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast