how do you repair head gasket on 2000 cadillac deville?

be careful of what you get yourself into. these cadillac engines like to pull the threads out of the aluminum blocks. that is why you are losing coolant. the stress on the head bolts pulls the threads out of the block causing the clamping load on the head and gasket to loosen up. Typically, one needs to install a thread repair kit to all of the cylinder head bolt holes. Don't use helicoils, they will pull out also. Timesert is the name of the company that makes the repair kit. they also sell a kit to use a second time around that is oversized after helicoils were used. The kit cost around $450 and does not include all of the inserts needed. Each additional insert is $26. Don't believe me? just google cadillac stripped threads and you will find many forums discussing the issue.

remove heads and replace gaskets...not as easy as it sounds...if you dont know what ur doing dont do it urself...gonna need to get all the torque specs for the valves and alll that

You can't repair a gasket as the whole thing needs to be replaced and tightened down with a torque wrench. It will be cheaper in the long run if you get a mechanic to do it.

be careful of what you get yourself into. these cadillac engines like to pull the threads out of the aluminum blocks. that is why you are losing coolant. the stress on the head bolts pulls the threads out of the block causing the clamping load on the head and gasket to loosen up. Typically, one needs to install a thread repair kit to all of the cylinder head bolt holes. Don't use helicoils, they will pull out also. Timesert is the name of the company that makes the repair kit. they also sell a kit to use a second time around that is oversized after helicoils were used. The kit cost around $450 and does not include all of the inserts needed. Each additional insert is $26. Don't believe me? just google cadillac stripped threads and you will find many forums discussing the issue.

2000 Deville DHS

I actually decided to take on this mamoth job. I was having the same problem with overheating and losing coolant. It took me three and a half days with drilling and re-tapping the block a whole day with rechecking measurements. I used the NS300L insert and optional jig. It worked out perfectly. The car doesn't over heat anymore and I have constant heat now for the winter. I only did the job because I was a mechanic and maintenance chief in the Marines for 21 years.
[email protected]

Back