does anyone else have issues with live fish for wedding centerpieces?

Shelley

May 15, 2008
A lot of my wedding magazines suggest it and recently some family pointed it out to me as something that was cute.

If there was a way to safely and humanely have live animals at my reception I would totally go for it. but animals + reception usually= bad things happening. There was a time I wanted to incorporate my pet hermit crabs into the reception but to actually have them there would be a nightmare. So photographs seem to be the way to go.

My fiance as a student worked at a country club which made most of its money though the wedding industry. A few weddings had fish bowls one even had black mollies give birth during the toasts. He broke my heart when he told me that lots of times no one takes the fish home after the wedding. Or people killed the fish during the reception or they just died. The worst was when he told me the decorator of one wedding came back to collect the decorations and when he asked about the fish she told him she flushed them.

Anyone else have issues with fish centerpieces? Any good or bad experiences?

I think from your fiance's experiences with live fish at weddings says it all. It is inhumane.
Sometimes I even dislike taking flowers home from weddings for fear of killing them.
Sure having fish in your centrepieces is a unique idea but my guess is that most of them will die from stress.
Don't do it!
What you could have is those glass fish with the bubble that makes them float.

I would hate to leave a wedding with an unplanned pet. Leave a large fishing bowl near the exit and let people know that they can return their fish/take them home. Personally the whole idea doesn't sound appealing unless its those large colorful catfish. Fish are hamsters kind of pets you're into them when you're like 5/6 . but that's just me.

That is horrible! No one should treat living creatures like that.

Having said that I don't have a problem with fish at weddings as long as they are taken care of during and after the wedding. People need to plan ahead if they want to incorporate them.

Well you have raised some good points. Honestly I dont want to look at a fish while I eat. I find live fish a little gross. Not appetizing, beautiful, or interesting to look at. Totally misguided trend.

Well you have raised some good points. Honestly I dont want to look at a fish while I eat. I find live fish a little gross. Not appetizing, beautiful, or interesting to look at. Totally misguided trend.

Back