Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do some parents allow their children to scream?

At dinner last night there was a couple with a (probably) 3 year old child. This child would SCREAM at the top of his lungs if he was not getting what he wanted. I usually do not get annoyed by young children who scream in play but this child was just screaming for nothing more than getting what he wanted. It was very easy to see that every other diner in the restaurant was annoyed by this. The parents seemed to be unaffected by it and did nothing to correct this behavior. Certainly he was more than old enough to be taught that this is unacceptable behavior. Ruined an otherwise enjoyable dinner.

Why do some parents allow this? Are they just disrespectful? Personally, I would not take a child to a restaurant if I thought for even one minute they would be a nuisance or disruptive.
    This child was very verbal and interactive so I did rule out other differences...such as autism.
    Nicknames** I understand why you seem so defensive. I also understand that autism is very difficult to deal with for both the parents and the child. This child was NOT autistic! As a former teacher I feel certain of this.

As far as putting a child with autism in a public school setting when he does not have some sort of control........I do not feel they should be allowed into a classroom if they are unable to control their impulses. How are the other children going to learn if there is constant disruption? Impossible! A teacher is not trained to deal with such difficulties, nor should they have to. It is not fair to them and it is certainly not fair to the other children........no fault of the child who is has autism. There are better learning alternatives for these children.......Yes, they are usually VERY smart and given the right setting they usually thrive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because the parents don't know how to control them.
    If the child screams you either give it what it wants and stop the screaming but its just like taking pain killers, the screaming will come back eventually, or you dont give it what it wants so that the kid learns what he cant have. However the parents have obviously given that kid what he/she wanted all the time so the damage is done and they dont know how to deal with it.
    Its really annoying, I don't believe that hitting a child is right, but clipping its ear once in a while to keep it in line wont hurt it.