French Future Tense.....?

GeorgeC

May 25, 2008
Help please???
i need some help in how to write the future tense and how to like u know just like the future tense in french.
I missed a whole term at skool and my teacher said i had to catch up on my own:(
Help?
Thanks

It's actually very easy. Colloquially, it's the appropriate inflection of the verb "aller" followed by the infinitive. Formally, and this is crucial because it also applies to Spanish, Italian and Portuguese, it amounts to the infinitive with the appropriate part of the verb "avoir" in the present tagged onto the end, the exception being "etre" and a few others. Spanish and Portuguese at least also do their own equivalent of the "aller" thing. Romanian uses "voi" plus the infinitive (which is like the English "will").

ok. French is quite simple on that one. You will be suprised.

You know your verb groups? -er, -ir and the rest (2nd group has -issant ending at present participle)

for the first gourp, I'll take to like/to love

J' aime - rai I sperated stem from ending so it
Tu aime - ras can be easy to note. First group
Il aime - ra all like this; they never change
Nous aime - rons endings.
Vous aime - rez
Ils aime - ront

2nd group
finir (to end)

fini - rai
fini - ras
fini - ra
fini - rons
fini - rez
fini - ront

3rd group
Aller Dormir
irai dormi - rai
iras dormi - ras
ira dormi - ra
irons dormi - rons
irez dormi - rez
iront dormi - ront

As you notice all endings are the same:
rai-ras-ra-rons-rez-ront

But, sometimes a stem change occurs in the third group. You also saw an -ir verb in the third. Dromir is dormant thus not finish in -issant at present participle.

For further explanations contact me with a message or an e-mail to [email protected]

Other Tips:
You have either to know the verb stems or use the verb trick.
Knowing the stem, oyu will add the proper ending everytime, but oyu may not find it pretty easy to do. So, most teacher teach it like this:
Notice how they all ended (first and second group)
Finirai, Aimerai, Mangerai, Finiras, Tueras...

Perhpas it's easier like this:
FINIRai,AIMERai,MANGERai,FINIRas,TUERas...
See? you simply add ai-as-a-ons-ez-ont after the r and you're correct.

This is the verb trick. It's not actually what you are doing technically like I explained with stem/endings, but the results are that you can do it to correctly conjugate the first 2 gorups.

And again:
For further explanations contact me with a message or an e-mail to [email protected]
I would be happy to help you learn faster, better and get back to the level in time.

Back