Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Because it's a proper noun...meaning the name of a person place or thing which in the english language is capitalized. Your name is one example, so is the name of a country, the title of someone, buildings, monuments, documents, holidays, week days, languages, religions, vehicles, brand names, groups and scriptures from all religions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does capitalizing "atheism" affirm religious people's assertions that it's a...

...religion? Why do people capitalize it if it's a lack of belief? These same people seem to get irritated when others say, "That's your religion." They say "It's not a religion!" and go on to capitalize the word as if it's a religion. Can you elaborate?
    I'm not insulting atheists in any way. I'm just saying that it seems counterproductive to their cause to capitalize a lack of belief.
    I understand it's not a religion. It also should not be capitalized. We capitalize Catholicism, but not apathy. We capitalize Islam, but not agnostic. You see?
    Capitalization doesn't always mean something's a religion, but in the R&S section, it seems useless to the cause.

Junior Member ReflectingontheForce's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't get it. Its not a religion because the definition of religion is (1 belief in a supernatural phenomenon and 2) custom, tradition or conduct carried out in observance of that supernatural phenomenon. Atheism denies the supernatural and accordingly it is not a religion. Nevertheless, it is a belief system if you want to poke fingers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only capitalize it when it starts a sentence. I rarely see atheists capitalizing it on R&S. And it does not have to be a religion in order to capitalize it, it could be considered a proper name (which it is).

Downloads
    Uploads
    By the act of capitalization they are giving it some significance, since for most religious people it is a big deal that someone would not believe in God. I almost always capitalize words of importance to me, such as Truth, Love, Faith and God.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you suggesting that capitalization implies religion???

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps or perhaps they are just not aware it shouldn't be capitalized unless it starts a sentence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do we capitalise names? Or words at the start of a sentence?

By capitalising it, it is given some importance, as if it were the name of a group of people or something like that. No, by making an 'a' into an 'A' we do not suddenly change it into a religion.

Please think about what you ask before you ask it. Atheists do not have a RELIGION. They have their own set of beliefs outside of religion, however. Why when we use the word belief do we assume it has to be religion or nothing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    it is a religion, because it is a set of beliefs on non-beliefs

Downloads
    Uploads
    They need someone to persecute, hate, feel morally superior to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast