Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can a true infinity exist?

Broad question. To give some context, I tend to see infinity as a concept, and nonsensical as a number or unit of measurement. (The thought experiment about crossing half of a room an infinite number of times when you actually do walk across a room) I don't think any true infinities exist. It would take me awhile to explain my opinion, but I am curious about what others think.
    How is God an infinity (or how does he have infinite attributes)? I know it is often assumed, but I rarely hear convincing arguments. Can you expound?
    While as a concept most say time moves on to infinity, is there any reason to accept that hypothesis over another possibility? (Perhaps a finite or circular nature of time?) In these cases the concept exists, which I admit, but the infinity itself would not.

Just had a thought; if you take a camera and pointed it at a TV that was displaying the image it is recording, then looked at another TV also displaying the recording, would the repeated image (though it gets smaller) be a true infinity (even though it would eventually get too small to see)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    yes.Its the basic law of physics.Energy cannot be created or destroyed.The boundaries of the universe are infinite.Our consciousness is also infinate.Although on the other hand if someone invented something that would destroy everything that exists in the universe i guess it wouldnt be infinate.Though time is only a tool it is also infinate.so heres my thought without getting into some crazy in depth conversation.ha,ha.

Downloads
    Uploads
    infinity and eternity are two different concepts. There are an infinite number of points on a line. No matter what the length of the line. I'm not going to debate this, this is simply a fact. I'm not clear on why this is a problem for you.

As for eternity, it is NOT an "infinite extension" of time. Eternity goes at right angles to time. If time is a line, eternity ia ALL THE LINES that exist in parallel with the original line of time, and this forms A PLANE of existence. A plane of "time" so to speak. It's like being a shovel. It's ALWAYS a shovel, no matter what happens to it, and no matter what could POSSIBLY happen to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are describing internal infinity, yes you can subdivide something infinitely. External infinity also exists now begin-------------------------------

Downloads
    Uploads
    Infinite.

Beyond limit.

Start counting stars.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think there is any such thing as "true" infinity. Infinity is infinity, there is no degrees of infinite.

I see why you see it nonsensical as a number, because it's not a number. The number system is meant to be used in a scientific model to describe our observations. But it's also a limited system. But then everything in human culture is limited in terms of communication. All truths that escape communication converge at the point of infinite. Infinite represents absolute truth which cannot be abstracted in limited forms like words or numbers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Infinities carry paradoxes with them. To accept an infinity one must forgo a measure of rationality to the universe. This is why science leaves infinities to esoteric mathematics and describes the world as finite.

I believe there is an ASPECT of the universe that is infinite, it's POTENTIAL. Potential is not an abstract concept in my terms, but a figure "in the game" as it were, that defines everything that is AS IT IS. What is funny about potential (aside from the riskiness of incorporating a powerful irrational piece in the puzzle,) is that it "creates" the world (technically it defines the laws of the universe and arbitrates the existence of all things,) but what is really funny about potential is that aside from it's effect, it doesn't EXIST. Thus the world has an infinite capacity, but occurs on tuesday last or whatever.

Infinities are colorless and characterless. Creating the world is the only symptom that the infinite exists at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Infinities carry paradoxes with them. To accept an infinity one must forgo a measure of rationality to the universe. This is why science leaves infinities to esoteric mathematics and describes the world as finite.

I believe there is an ASPECT of the universe that is infinite, it's POTENTIAL. Potential is not an abstract concept in my terms, but a figure "in the game" as it were, that defines everything that is AS IT IS. What is funny about potential (aside from the riskiness of incorporating a powerful irrational piece in the puzzle,) is that it "creates" the world (technically it defines the laws of the universe and arbitrates the existence of all things,) but what is really funny about potential is that aside from it's effect, it doesn't EXIST. Thus the world has an infinite capacity, but occurs on tuesday last or whatever.

Infinities are colorless and characterless. Creating the world is the only symptom that the infinite exists at all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My thought is:

GOD.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whatever made the Big bang, or whatever made that, or whatever made that. It must have started somewhere otherewise it would never have started and we wouldn't be here. If you get me. I think that's God personally, but you may not, and that's fine.